Friday, September 12, 2014

Plus, There's This Guy!


High there!

Hey, what's a little vertigo between friends, eh? Afraid of heights, by chance? You're ok with heights, but a little sketchy with widths? Or depths?

Here's a test.... start this next video, quickly switch it to 720p and make it full-screen. Let's see how you do...



OK, that's your heights test... now depths...



Fair enough, that's the Depths Test... how did you do? You still ok?

OK, well, I tried to find a Widths Test, but this is all I could come up with...


Well, this running gag has run it's course, I'd say...

Now, what shall we talk about, eh?

Well, some things happening on the Acting Front (if you'll pardon how warlike that sounds)...

First, we had our first day of filming for the web series! Yay! Due to Jeff's hesitance at letting too much info out before we launch the pilot, I'll take a rather minimalist stance on details of the shoot. I can say that you've never seen me dressed like this before (lol), and that the scene I was in was in all Russian dialog, and I smoked about a half-a-pack of Marlboro Reds during all the takes... man... no offense to those of you who smoke, but I will never understand the appeal. Afterwards, I felt like someone had rubbed my soul around in an ash tray. It's just filthy. Anyways, I hope I look convincing-enough as a smoker to warrant at least an A for effort... same goes for the Russian dialog, lol... I tried, hard...

Here's the thing. I rehearsed the heck out of my Russian lines, trying to get the pronunciation correct... but that still left my delivery flat, rather than conversational... when working with Ruslan and Tanya, who were helping me with delivery suggestions (as far as what to stress and how to inflect, etc), I could remember one line... maybe two... but beyond that, I would automatically revert to the way I'd practiced... I couldn't remember the proper way to say all of the lines properly during each run-through... I'd get one or two right, and the rest would flatline...

Bah, first-world acting problems, I get it...

All that to say, I enjoyed the experience IMMENSELY, and am only reassured that I need to be doing this for a living. I can't wait to show you guys the pilot. Hopefully by early November.

Speaking of "doing this for a living".... I'm going to stop taking the San Diego acting classes with my coach Steve.... and start taking classes up in Los Angeles, with this guy (Rob Adler). I went up to the class last Tuesday, and it was terrific. The drive is a killer (especially for a man with little patience, like yours truly), but the class is great. The instructor Rob really knows his stuff (not that Steve doesn't - it's just a different take) and is very engaging.

So, yeah, there's that. I need to get used to driving up to LA anyways, if I'm going to really make a go at this acting/screenwriting thing...


I like that quote... though I can't vouch for how sound it is, doctrinally, lol...

My faith has been going through some interesting morphings this past year. Not sure how open I want to be here -- that might get a bit awkward for you to read! But let's just say, I'm as sure as ever that there is a God, but beyond that, I really don't know what to believe anymore. I'm finding it rather depressing that I can ask five "Christians" the same question(s) and get five different (sets of) answers, often radically different. It's really souring me on the whole "religious" facet of faith... plus, I've sort of fallen off the radar, as far as every single person from the church I attend... I hate to sound "that way" about it, since I realize that everyone has his/her own raft of problems, quirks and other life-related BS to deal with, but man, it would be nice if someone just dropped me a hello every now and then. My friends in the acting class and BTI project have been infinitely more connected/friendly  than my church "family"...

Man, that sounds petty...

So, can I be "real" and petty here, in this blog, eh? Or should I put up a nice, polished mature front? Will you despise me for my pettiness?


I used to wake up every morning with the news on my alarm radio. It was not wise. Starting your day listening to all the awful things happening in the world was not conducive to a good day. Now I have the radio set to the local "Calvary Chapel" christian station, so I wake up to sermons... and that may be worse! Man, such insipidity! Sometimes I wonder, "Can these guys even hear what they're saying?" I'm not just talking about the lame humor (which is bad enough)... but the shallow, void, impotent content... toothless! Dangit, I could use some straight talk... tell me God is there! Shake me up a bit! Don't pat me on the head and tell me everything is going to be perfect and that God loves me just oh-so-much!

Well, the alternative is waking up to music, I guess...

This is, easily, the best album I've heard in a long time...



I have never encountered an album where every single track (barring the instrumental intro/outro tracks) could be considered the best track... every song is outstanding (to me, obviously -- personal tastes being what they are, your results may vary)...

I don't know if I've mentioned it here yet, but at my stepdad's request, I saw Chadwick Boseman portray James Brown in the biopic film Get On Up, and if he doesn't at least get nominated for that performance, I will soil myself in protest. It was an amazing performance. You don't see full commitment to a role like that very often, outside of Daniel Day Lewis... if you get a chance to see the film, please do.

What else? Haven't read anything very noteworthy lately. I read Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men" to look for monologues. That was a fast, solid read. And I'm reading a fantasy novel called "Luck in the Shadows" by Lynn Flewelling, which is (sadly) mediocre in nearly every way. Surprising, since it receives a lot of very positive reviews from the masses. But I've been fooled like that before. Currently 44% through it... I'm trying to force myself on, but I really don't care a whit about any of the characters (save one - a wizard named Nysander), and the endless paragraphs of description and ham-fisted info-dumping makes my eyes glaze over. I may be bailing on it soon...

Sorry, ladies, but it just reinforces my feeling that Robin Hobb is the only female Fantasy writer that I've read that can hang with the big boys... I'll keep looking - there must be more Hobb-like authresses out there.

Actually, I remember liking NK Jemisin in the one book of hers I read a few years back... though I recall next to nothing about the book... and I didn't continue the series past book one... which may not be good signs... I'll have to re-read that one again...

OK, enough rambling nonsense. I'm sure everyone is trying to do the best they can in all they do... life is pretty rough. I should cut people more slack. I'm just kind of a grumpus lately...

All that to say, good night!

Dave the Grumpus

Plus, there's this guy...


5 comments:

Vye said...

Hey Dave,

I happened to read your blog tonight. How long have you been doing this now? 4? 5 years? I remember when u started it.

So many things have changed since then. Life isn't so simple, at least.

I don't play many games anymore, except SCII every now and then. I have good memories of our LANs. Thanks for coming to those.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi. How much sleep will tonight permit? Time to find out....

Nachocheese said...

Hi Dave,

Miss those good ol' days that Vye was talking about. A lot has changed lately, but we thank you for everything that you did for us; Hosting LAN parties, church duties, and for being you.

Best,
Jayson

logankstewart said...

That opening picture takes on a different feel if you imagine that you're looking up instead of down...

Yes. The tiredness of the American Church is tedious; just love Jesus and follow Him. He didn't set up denominations and isms; He said love Him and love our neighbors. One aspect of that is community--genuine, honest community--and it's an indictment against the church that community is found so much easier outside of the church than within. Alas. Press on loving Christ, friend. And know that as it comes to mind I pray for you and yours from time to time.

That license picture is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. Great.

Anonymous said...

Since you've fallen off the radar, maybe you ought to make the first move?

Have you ever read "The Thirteenth Tale?" (Diane Setterfield) Not sure if I've suggested it before, but I love a great book that ends with a surprise.

BA

David Wagner said...

Vye: I've been blogging since Jan 1, 2009... yep, long time. The LAN's will always hold a special place in my memory... fun times...

Jayson: Thanks, bro.

Logan: Thanks for the encouragement... and, yeah, that dude with the license was hilarious. What a nutty thing to do, I love it...

BA: First moves yield next to nothing, unfortunately... I guess that's just the way things are... this too shall pass, I guess... And I'll definitely check that book out. Thanks!