Thursday, January 24, 2013

A Thousand Pardons, M'Lady...


So I intended on updating the ol' bloggeroo a day or two ago, but I've been under the weather (yet again) with an entirely weird and different malady. This isn't the thrice-damned head cold I've battled since the fall... this is something that brings with it dizziness, electric pulses in my brain, debilitating chills, cranial pressure and a complete lack of appetite. If it was just me facing this beast, that'd be one thing... but Youngest is battling it too. Poor thing.

Anyway, I'm betting that's the last thing you want to read about, so I'll move on. I will tell you one thing, though... nothing makes a day drag on into eternity for me like being sick. My gosh, I feel like these past 2 days have been two weeks.

Maybe it's the hypochondriac in me (I spelled it right the first try! Woohoo!), but I've been pondering death again. Of course, my brother's passing has been on my mind of late, and then that first night I was sick, when I sat teetering on the edge of sleep all night long without once toppling in, I found my mind drifting in that direction. Probably all those weird electric pulses in my brain, which I've mentioned on this blog before over the years, but these past two days, they've been going off like a fireworks finale, and the only way I can deal with them is to sit still with my eyes closed and wait for them to pass. I have this weird disconnect with my body going when it happens, like I've had way too much to drink, and my brain has trouble communicating with my limbs. It isn't painful, it's just unnerving (and still happening, as I write this)

Anyway, during my night-long vigil, I decided I'd write a little document with all of my important info for my wife, in case I kick off. You know, passwords to various sites (bank, paypal, insurance, etc), how to contact my life insurance guy, stuff like that. Practical, and probably useful in any case. Of course, then my mind went to things I'd like to say to certain people in my life that I haven't got to say yet... a group of docs I'd write up and stash, with instructions to send off if I should kick it... that one I know is probably not as good an idea, lol...

In any case, I know once I get this weirdness behind me, I'll look back on this post and laugh. I tell ya, I can't wait for Spring...


So I might as well spill a little bit of that "good news" I've been teasing you with over the past month or two, since it seems to be solidifying and moving forward. My good friend Todd's dream of starting a Christian movie production house is becoming a reality. I'll stay mum on the details for now, but it looks exciting- and he wants me involved. So who knows? Very soon I may shift careers and start making movies (a dream of mine as well).

That's a tease, more than anything. But at least it's something!


So I love my car. I mean, the one my brother John gave me, the Subaru. I'm torn. I'd love to keep it...but I don't know if that's the smart play or not. I need wisdom!

By the way, I also love my new wireless headphones. I can have something going on the computer, and go get a drink in the kitchen, or take a restroom trip, and come back, and be listening the whole time! How cool is that!?

Well, it sounded cool before I wrote it. Now that I've read it on screen, it sounds pretty sad...

So after my latest reading spurt, I've entered a cooling off period... it's typical. I read several titles with enthusiasm, then hit the wall and just stop. Usually the stoppage doesn't last too long - a week or three at the most. But I likely won't have much to say book-wise in the interim.


LOTR reference for the win!

Well, I'd say that's enough nonsense for now. Hopefully I'll have something interesting to say next time...

Dave the Addlepate

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doing that for your wife is not macabre, it's kind, loving and amazing. I've met many wives out here who end up knowing nothing about those things, including my Mom, after their mates pass. It makes life terribly difficult on top of the grief.

What a wonderful prospect for a new direction in you life.

Beth

PS: the buzzing in the head sounds like it might need attention. I used to play a doctor on TV :)

logankstewart said...

Oh man, hope that illness goes away. Definitely doesn't sound good.

Wisdom, in my opinion, says to get rid of the car. I am not a nostalgic person, and I see things for what they are, not what I perceive they are (or I try). The car is a tool. If the cost is not worth the upkeep/functionality, then logic says to get rid of it. Just my two cents.

And best of luck with the mummed details.