Thursday, December 15, 2011

You Gonna Eat That Chair?


Um, yeah... that is a cool picture. One of many I saw in this article. Don't worry if you don't wish to browse the gallery... I saved many of the best shots in my archive! You'll be seeing them here soon enough! MUAHAHAH!!! Yep, repost other people's stuff, that's what I do! I am nothing if not unoriginal! The only thing original around here are my lame puns! In fact, you could safely label this blog "nnuts"!

No, I don't mean crazy, and no, it isn't a typo... nnuts = nothing new under the sun...

I always wanted to start a T-shirt company and call it NNUTS... I even know what the logo would look like... in fact, here, lemme go whip up a mock-up for ya... brb...


There, that's the idea. Of course, it's a rough design (hey, what do you expect in 10 minutes?! Sheesh!) Anyway, I'm sure you see it... "nothing new under the sun" in a figure-8 shape, so it conforms to the rough shape of a peanut (which I ghosted around the whole logo). I got all absorbed in coming up with funny T-shirt designs at one time (few years back), actually worked out the designs on a few, and looked into starting a company. Then I lost all my brainstorm notes and art files for the T-shirt designs and ideas, got discouraged, and I let the idea die. I didn't want to start over from scratch. Gee, no surprise, to those that know me... yet another idea that slipped behind the glass wall...

Why was I reminded of that again? Oh, yeah... "lame puns", "nnuts", etc...

OK, well, moving right along...

I watched this mini-documentary last night, and thought it was great. I immediately thought my mom would enjoy it, so I'm posting it here for her. If the rest of y'all want to watch it, if you like music, you'll like the film as well, I'm sure. It's about a small town North Carolina barbershop that locals gather at on Saturdays to play music together in the back room... that likely sounds boring to you, but it really intrigued me. It weighs in at 20 minutes, so grab a snack...


Pickin' & Trimmin' from Matt Morris Films on Vimeo.


For those of you with shorter attention spans, I'll also post the trailer to the new Three Stooges movie coming out next year. I have to admit, I laughed hard (and continue to do so) when I watched it... WARNING: woman in bathing suit at the 1:00 mark. If that offends you, cover your eyes!



Looks like they nailed the casting on that one. Those guys are PERFECT. I'm not a fan of the Farrelly Brother's movies (with the exception of Dumb and Dumber), but I may go see that one. Good old fashioned screwball slapstick. That spot where the bell falls off the church roof and hits that person in the head with a big BONNGGG! gets me every time...

On a religious note, I've noticed a strange sort of fatalism creeping into my prayer life lately.

Wow, from Three Stooges right into prayer? Sure, why not? I make up the rules here, don't I?! Sheesh!

Anyway, I've found it harder to pray lately, since this idea keeps weaseling its way into my thoughts... "Why pray? What's the point? God's going to do what He wants to anyway! I mean, can I really sway what He will do, in any given situation?" Yeah, I know... either my cynicism is ripening to dangerous levels, or that thought has its origins "elsewhere"... anyway, I shall assume if I persevere, it shall dissipate, and leave me be. But for now, it's a bit of a struggle.

Hey, see how open I am with you? That just shows how much I love you! Yeah, I know, "Never talk about politics, religion or the Backyardigans," I get it... sorry, I'll move on...

"That's not funny; that's sad." - Sister Mary Cornelius

There, that brings us back in line with the spirit of this blog...

OK, fine, you want more theology? So I have a couple of "e-friends" who have recently made blog posts that blew me away. If that sort of thing interests you, the links are HERE and HERE.

So I was remembering something funny that happened between my brother Bryan and I one time, back when he still dwelt upon the earth. I was giving him a ride home from work one time (we worked together, at our family business here in San Diego), which was a rare occurrence for me. We each had our own cars, of course, and each drove alone, being on different schedules, etc. Anyway, for some reason, I needed to give him a ride, which I was happy to do. The freeway was packed, as was normal back then (before all the construction made the ride smoother), and Bryan reclined his chair to nap while we inched our way up the road.

Normally, as I said, I drive alone. One thing I did a lot (and still do) is while driving, sort-of subconsciously put my hand over on the back of the passenger-side chair back, up by the head-rest. I stretch my arm out, then back over the headrest, and lay my hand across it. I've done it so often, I do it without thinking, like a reflex.

Anyway, so we were crawling up the freeway, and I was bored, listening to the radio (softly), my mind drifting. Of course, I forgot Bryan was in the car with me, since he was reclined (and out of my peripheral vision), and normally I drove alone. So out goes the arm, and I place it on the now-missing chair back... when I let my arm drop, instead of resting where it normally does, my hand plummeted and smacked Bryan in the face...

He wakes up, of course, looking at me like I was insane, saying "What the heck?" In that split second, I imagined trying to explain what just happened to him in a way that would make sense, especially seeing as how he was just asleep. I mean, look at how many paragraphs it is taking me to tell this to you, and you're all awake (I think)! So I just said, "sorry", and looked forward again. He went back to sleep. Perhaps he thought he'd dreamed it, I don't know. I've never been smacked in my sleep before... must not have seemed funny to him at the time.

Not sure why I recalled that today. Sorry, Bryan, wherever you are!


Hmm... well, I suppose I should leave things here for now. Don't worry, I'll be back soon with more hot air! Don't cry yourself to sleep over it! No, stay awake and brood instead.

Adios for now,

Dave the Gump

PS 21st Anniversary today. 21 down, 75 more to go...

4 comments:

Odhynn said...

Don't mind sceptical old me, but I think prayer might be much like a confession or a therapy session, in that you benefit from listening to yourself, rather than affect the person (or divine being) you talk to.

Not that that's all there is to prayer, but, oh well...
It's your backyard friends, the Bac- Urkgghl!

[ Drydoryssus' hands rise up and grip tightly on his throat in a desperate attempt to save civilisation and humanity ]

Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed "Pickin' & Trimmin'! When all my Aunts and Uncles and cousins would gather, they would play banjo, guitar, and Ukulele and we would sing along. King of the Road, Flowers on the Wall, and I Had But Fifty Cents, to name a few. Brought back fond memories.

Funny how boys are. A girl would have gone to the lengthy effort, describing how she accidentally hit the other sister, to the point where the hitee wouldn't have been able to go back to sleep :)

Happy Anniversary! If you like live comedic performances, we enjoyed "Triple Espresso" down in San Diego. It was running for years, so it still may be available - something different to celebrate your day.

Beth A.

logankstewart said...

I can't watch the video, as I'm at work, but I can imagine it, and I imagine that it's something that I would rather like, as I am from KY, play bluegrassy/folk music, and have done similar things to what you describe. Getting together and play & sing and enjoy one another...

Fatalism, eh. Yikes. Cynicism is a tough nut to crack. Remain hopeful, for Christ is our hope, and let your hope turn to optimism. That's what I attempt to do, though I don't always succeed. My outlook and my perception are in my control, and I choose to be as optimistic & hopeful as possible.

Um, yeah. Happy Anniversary. I just went through my second marriage, this one a fiery young Nord named Ysolda...

Michelle said...

Prayer can be tough at times. Prayer isn't always just a time for us to talk to God, sometimes it's a time for Him to talk to us, to gently nudge us one way or another. I know in my own life sometimes I feel disconnected during prayer, but it usually has more to do with my attitude than my connection with God. :)

Oh, and don't mention Backyardigans again. It's a bad word in our house....That show makes me want to pull my hair out!

Thanks for the link, and Happy Happy Happy Anniversary!