Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Music, Blindness and Endless Patience


Why do I think of Johnny Cash when I see this picture...

Hello, y'all. It's been almost a week since my last post. What a week. Too bad I can't talk about it...

Events and developments have conspired to keep me from updating -- but in this case, that's not a bad thing. Things are showing great promise, in just about every facet of my life, which is surprisingly encouraging. Well, while at sea during a storm, the waves go way up, and the waves go way down. I like the view from up here. Now if I could only get rid of this seasickness...

I almost made it through Steam's big summer sale without buying any computer games. I was all set to be so proud of myself for resisting temptation. But, alas, the very last day, when they brought back some of the best-selling items from the previous week for one last chance to snag, I bit. But I didn't bite very deep... I spent $6 on the two DLC packs for Fallout: New Vegas (saved myself $14), so that's not bad...

No, I don't expect any of you but Logan to know what I'm talking about, but you get the general idea, in any case, I'm sure...

Hey, remember that one time that Joshua Bell - arguably the greatest violinist in the world -- decided to set up and play at an entrance to the D.C. Metro, and play for spare change?



That was a cool experiment. People that know music normally pay a small fortune to go hear this guy play... But even though the common person (like me) would likely not know who this guy was, you'd think they'd at least recognize amazing talent when they hear it and stop for a quick listen instead of blithely rushing by...

Ah, well. Some people just can't see what's in front of them!


Hidden in plain view!

There's an artist named Mark Nixon who turned a walking bridge in Denmark into a huge wind chime by hanging a bunch of aluminum pipes of various lengths underneath it...


People walking the bridge don't know it's there unless the wind is blowing... Pretty cool. Go here for more info. There's a short video of it - but it doesn't really do it justice...

So I bought A Dance With Dragons, as I threatened to so many times this year, and I've waded in. It's so nice to catch up on what Tyrion, Dany and Jon Snow have been up to. I'm resisting the urge to tear through it... I want to go slow and enjoy it. I know it will be a good, long time before another installment is ready for consumption...

Gimme battle scenes! I need battle scenes!



Ok, that will suffice...

Wifey wants to plan a trip for my birthday next month. Southwest was having a sale on cheap tickets, so I just checked how much a trip to NYC would run... let's just say, it ain't cheap. I guess NYC ain't on the list of cut-rate tickets. Too bad I can't just scan us and attach us to emails and send us out to someone in NYC. Then they could download us, print us out, and BAM! We'd be in the Big Apple!


OK, I guess not...

So, I've done a couple workouts with my new personal trainer. On Tuesday I was doing great, until the end, when both of my calf muscles cramped up, turning into rock-hard fists of pain and fire. I guess they aren't used to doing squats and lunges, eh! I don't normally do too many squats and lunges while sitting on my rear in front of a computer all day, eh! Wow, what pain. Yeah, I know, I'm a whiny little baby, I get it. Still... ouch. I'd rather that not happen again. But if that's what it takes to get into good shape, I suppose it's a price I'll pay! I'll be a man yet!

I'm going to end this mindless ramble here.

More later.

Dave the Patient

6 comments:

logankstewart said...

I think of JC, too.

$6 is a steal, dude. I got all 5 DLC packs for Fallout3, but I've not played any of them yet. Never found the time...

I have a fondness for windchimes, and that bridge is awesome.

Enjoy the Dance. I'll get to it soon-ish...

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave,
Really enjoyed the violin clip - what a treat those subway riders had!

So the new book is a continuation of the Kindle Pack I bought! I recognize those names.

I know you and Stan are buds - Lisa is the master-cheap ticket finder. Pick a few locations and see if she has the time. It's one of her gifts. There's also a site that alerts you to last minute cheap fares, if you guys are a little flexible about where you're going.

Beauty is pain.

Beth the Desert Dweller

Odhynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Odhynn said...

Yeah, heard of this experiment. Goes to show that one has to be an exceptional listener to appreciate an exceptional musician.
Same must go with every form of art as well.

What are they feeding that kitten?

Relish the pain, Dave. It's all part of the deal.
Only hands with calluses wield swords.


As for things in Greece...
If you want to see some battle scenes, come by downtown Athens some day, sniff the teargas that still lingers in the air.
Things are grim, grim.
We're gonna have a bloody fall this year. Hopefully where "fall" doesn't just mean "autumn".

Abbie Josephsen said...

love the kitty video dave! and your opening picture is amazing :) I liked how there was only one lady who stood and watched for a long time, and then you find out she recognized the violinist :P

Michelle said...

Glad to hear you are doing well, with the trainer. At least it doesn't hurt to breathe!

Loved the clip of Joshua Bell. It just goes to show that there's beauty all around us that we sometimes miss. Have a great week!