Wednesday, August 4, 2010

"Marriage is Nature's Way of Keeping Us from Fighting with Strangers." -- Alan King


Ahhh... TUMS are my friends... go to work, my friends! Settle my stomach so I can rest tonight! God bless thee, O TUMS....

Where was I?

OK, well, we hit the road in the morning, Wifey, Eldest Daughter and I. Off to Henderson NV (near Vegas) to attend my Sister's conference that she is co-teaching. We go to document the event on video and standard camera. This is a trial run for us. If things go well, we will be attending additional seminars in other cities in the upcoming months. My sister mentioned Boston and Indianapolis so far. How cool would that be? I may get to travel more soon! YAY! Now I can try out those full-body X-ray scanners at the airports! I may have to get a chest tattoo that says, "If you can read this, you are too close!"

I thought I'd hop on here and throw a couple goofy items at you, to tide you over until I return. ALTHOUGH: checking out the amenities at the hotel we are staying at, it says it has free wireless internet access... so maybe I'll post from the hotel, who knows!


So I decided to go ahead with the plans for a birthday party for my 40th. I'm so torn. Part of me wants people to make a fuss over me. Part of me just wants to hide and not do anything. What swayed it for me was fast-forwarding (in my mind) a week or two after my birthday... I think after the fact I will be far more pleased to have had a party than to not have... my mom has offered the use of her house, and a list of people to invite has been assembled...

The list... there's another dread. Who to invite. We can't rightly invite everyone... where would we put them all, and how would we feed them all? And yet, the more people we invite, the more we will need to invite! The bigger the event is, the more likely it will be that someone will be offended for not getting invited. Just invite those closest to me? OK, but then what about their families? I want everyone to come, of course... but it just isn't practical! And so, the list has been made, and I've resigned myself to knowing some toes will be stepped on...

Ah, well... I suppose there are FAR worse problems to have...


Still trying to decide on a big-ticket item to buy myself for my birthday... I want an iPad... I want a new stereo system for my car... I want one of those BOSE wave radio thingys... then again, I don't really need any of those things, they'd just be nice. The iPad will probably lose it's novelty appeal pretty quickly. A stereo system for my car might prove obsolete if I buy a new car in the next year or two... and the BOSE thing is the definition of an unneeded luxury... maybe I'll just buy 10 pounds of beef jerky and be done with it....

This is INSANE:


He also did this little number in Beijing for the Olympics...



Well, I guess if you have to be good at something, make it something unique, eh?

I've ground to a halt on my reading. Since I've been working on the delivery van at the shop, I've needed to get up far earlier than usual, to get into the shop on time. That means going to bed earlier the nights before. Which means my reading time (midnight to 2 am) has been eliminated. I hope when I pick up Devices and Desires again, I won't be too lost...

Again, far worse problems to have...


Well, until we meet again!

Dave

6 comments:

logankstewart said...

Indy?! That's on my half of the States. My half, you hear me? What's west of the Rockies is yours, and what's east of the Mississipi is mine. The Middle of America belongs to, uhm.... My half, you make sure you keep that in mind.

That cat picture cracks me up. Poor kitty.

I used to enjoy making houses of card when I was younger. Haven't done that in a while, and they certainly weren't that impressive.

Anonymous said...

Your a bit of a traitor, you know. You recommended the Name of the Wind and I didn't realize that it was A PART I!!! So, I finally enjoyed my reading venture over to the dark side of fantasy genre - and I won't ever find out how Kvothe ended up a depressed innkeeper because by the time II comes out, I will have forgotten all about it. Hmph.

Crystal said...

The card stacking is pretty impressive!

Have a safe trip and hope all goes well so you can travel more!

Abbie said...

anonymous has a good point... I think that was partially why i didn't like that book... since I couldnt go right into the next one.
have a great trip dave! enjoy!

Odhynn said...

Building card stacks always got to my nerves, like pretty much everything.
Quite an accomplishment, these ...

David Wagner said...

OK Logan, fine... you can have Boston and NY... I'll take LA and Vegas... hey, wait a minute! That's not a fair trade!

Ann, you won't have to wait too long... just to next Spring! Besides, it's a good enough book to read twice... I take it you liked it, eh?

Crystal: Glad you liked the stacking too. Thanks for stopping by!

Abbie: I had a great trip! Actually, as I write this (Saturday about midnight) I'm still here in Vegas. We leave Sunday morning... it's been great.

Dry: Agreed... I never really had the patience to stack more than a deck of cards...