Monday, March 22, 2010

My Guilt Has Overwhelmed Me, Like a Burden Too Heavy to Bear. (Psalm 38:4)


Isn't that a nice sky?

It's too bad, that old saying about nice skies finishing last....

BUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!1!!!! Oh, man, I'm so funny! [Dave dabs his eyes] Man, there's nothing like a great pun...

Too bad that was merely mediocre....

Sounds like a band name... "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the stage MERELY MEDIOCRE!"

OK, before I get started on tonight's post, I have to post a video. And yes, I need to post it nice and large...



Come on, you knew the video was going to be wind related... I mean, this is me we're talking about here....

A bizarre day of jury duty today. It started out really early - well, for me, anyway. I got up at 6:15 am... do you pity me? I went to the main bus depot in Escondido, never having ridden the bus form of mass transit before. I didn't know I needed to buy the ticket on the bus itself, from the driver! So I'm wandering around, looking for a ticket window, like a tool. Then I didn't know I needed exact change and that the driver couldn't give me any change back... until after I put my $20 into the money machine at the front of the bus. So my $5 ticket cost me $20. Oh, well... live and learn, eh?

Got downtown early, and read Lone Survivor (Marcus Luttrell) for about an hour before Jury Duty was supposed to begin (at 9am). And I kept reading until they actually called us, at 9:30. Then we heard one witness for about 10 minutes before being sent out on a 20 minute break while the lawyers dealt with something. Then back in for the very beginning of the next witness, before being stopped by a sidebar, and then sent out on another 30 minute break, so the defense lawyer could attend to something in another courtroom. We returned to hear approximately 15 more minutes of testimony, which took us to 11:30 am, at which time we were dismissed for a 2 hour lunch break. I kid you not, between 9am and 1:30, we were in the court for about 45 minutes, the rest was spent on "breaks."

After lunch, they let us in late, we heard about 10 minutes of testimony, and yep, we were sent on another 15 minute break which stretched into 90 minutes. We returned about 3:15 pm to hear a bit more testimony, and were released for the day at 4, which was a half-hour early. The majority of the day was spent on break.

The good news is, I'm almost finished reading my book. If you ever want your heart broken, while simultaneously developing unbelievable respect for what Navy SEALS do, read Lone Survivor. It will chew you up and spit you out, and leave you wanting more. AMAZING book.

The other good news is, we were told the Prosecution will wrap up their case Tuesday morning, after 2 more witnesses. The lawyer promised to have both final witnesses ready to roll at 9am, but we'll see. The judge said we should begin deliberating Tuesday afternoon. So much for a week-and-a-half trial! Took Friday, a bit of Monday, and (supposedly) a bit of Tuesday. I think the Prosecuting attorney was expecting a much more robust defense attempt by the defense lawyer. The defense attorney looks exactly like Joaquin Phoenix, by the way, which is weird. I keep expecting him to put on an ivy headpeace and give thumbs up or thumbs down to the witnesses...

By the way, does this count as violating the "don't talk about the trial" rule? I'm not mentioning specifics of the case... I hope by chattering about schedules and mild frustration at waiting, that's innocuous enough.

Funny Picture Time!
Yay! Twilight humor!

By the way, if you ever want to spend/waste a bunch of time on cool web browsing, go to TIME magazine's website, to the section on The Top 10 Everything of 2009. As the name implies, they break down the top 10 lists from all kinds of disparate topics, from News, to Science, to Entertainment, to Pop Culture and beyond. Very cool.

In fact, here's a screenie, and if you click it, it will take you to the page I'm talking about! How cool is that!


But don't click THIS LINK, or you will get Rick-Rolled...

I have to go to bed now. Another early day tomorrow!

Adios.

6 comments:

Krista said...

haha that video was pretty funny!

Jury duty sounds like loads of fun.

haha that twilight picture is cool. It would've been cooler if like Buffy was in it, though. You know, Buffy killed Edward. The end. lol

All the best!

Odhynn said...

What's with you and that last video ?..

logankstewart said...

Merely Mediocre is a great band name. I like Krista's Buffy idea, too. Then raptor kills Buffy. Then Turok kills raptor. Then this goes too far and I quit.

Crystal said...

The Bella/Edward/Raptor pic is hilarious.

Sounds like jury duty is a great place to read :)

Lydia said...

i've heard a lot about this "rick-rolled" business... and i'm SO tempted to click the link, but I'm also very afraid... so I guess i'll have to wait until it happens some other way... *sigh*

David Wagner said...

It's no big deal, really, Lydia... it just takes you to a YouTube video of Rick Astley singing Never Gonna Give You Up. It doesn't make much sense on the surface, but there's a funny story to how it became such a phenomenon.