Friday, February 5, 2010

There is No Speech or Language Where Their Voice is Not Heard (Psalm 19:3)



Listen... do you want to know a secret? Do you promise not tell?

Hey, don't freak out on me, I was just quoting a Beatles song! Sheesh!

I've sat down a couple times in the last few days to write a new post... the last post was on Feb 1st... it is now Feb 5.... that's a long time for me... I just didn't really have anything to say! I'd stare at the blank "new post" window and think, "Do I really want to just BS my way through a post, for the heck of it, or should I actually wait until I have something to say first?"

Things are good between the wifey and I of late. Past week and a half or so... it's encouraging, but I'm treading lightly... I don't want to mess it up... and I'd love to shake this feeling I always get that no matter how hard I try, I always mess things up... I think that becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy sometimes. Deep down, I really want to do right by her, and be for her what she needs/wants... just because I'm not good at it doesn't mean I'll always fall short...

Granted, there's a lot I could say here, but it would make for uncomfortable reading...

Better shift gears...

My brother-in-law James has started a blog! Some of you might remember James - his shoe collection/fetish rivals that of my wifey... He's a big, buff guy. Weightlifter. He could snap me in half with little effort at all... anyway, I bring it up because he named his blog with perhaps the coolest blog name ever - which would be twice as cool to you if you knew him... he called it "James Explains It All"... isn't that an awesome blog name? I love it. He just has one post up so far - a brief one about the upcoming Super Bowl. Once he starts "explaining it all", I'll add a link to the sidebar over there on the right... but for now, HERE is the link, if you want to give it a quick peek. I don't know how often he'll update it yet... but he certainly is a man of many thorough opinions, so I look forward to seeing what comes of it, if anything...

Harsh segue! Ouch!

It says "Please wait" under the loading bar... lol...

A long time ago, in the early 90's, I worked for a professional artist - a sculptor named Malcolm Jones. I enjoyed that job - Malcolm and I became great friends. Shared a lot of laughs and even more conversations... Anyway, late nineties came, and I stopped working for him, mostly because my wrists couldn't take it any longer. There was a lot of sanding and polishing involved in my job, and while I always loved the sculptures that resulted from the efforts, the long-term carpal tunnel issues couldn't be ignored.

We sort of drifted out of touch, mostly because I'm such a hideous friend, in general. I've always been a loner, with my own little comfort zone. If I could maintain contact with a "friend" and it falls in the realm of my little daily routine, I can maintain it just fine... but if maintaining a friendship requires effort that takes me out of my safe little world/routine, it usually doesn't happen. Laziness? Fear? Apathy? Insecurity? Self-delusion? I don't know. You'd think picking up the phone now and then wouldn't be an issue for me, but it always is. I always think "Well, [this person] is probably busy and doesn't want to be disturbed, so I'll call another time." Or a similar lame excuse.

Bottom line, many years have passed since last I spoke to Malcolm, yet I have always (and will always) consider him one of my closest friends. Yeah, go figure.

But I'm planning on having lunch with him on Friday. I did it - I called him up. I clawed my way out of my comfort zone.

Every now and then, over the years, I've tried to find him online, but he doesn't have a website still. I want to make him one. As a gift, of course. I have a certain limited skillset now, when it comes to web site design, so I want to make him a site, and give him a web presence. It's the least I could do for him - and it will give us a reason to be in contact more regularly.

So I guess all that is just to say, I'm a lousy friend, but I'm improving. And I get to visit with Malcolm tomorrow! I haven't seen him since my brother's funeral, back in Jan of 2000.

Harsh segue! OUCH!

Check out the new look of the 75th anniversary Monopoly!

Crazy, eh? Read a bit more about it HERE and HERE

Going to fire off another 20 pages (or so) of my fantasy novel to the writer's group for this coming Tuesday's meeting... I'm really enjoying the re-writing process... I have to say, my story sure cleans up nice! I'm introducing a new set of characters this week to the group. They've had a couple weeks of Vye, Yanni, Abbie and Dave... gonna give them the Council and Stewards this week.

Valentines Day is coming up... do you know who your valentine is yet?

OK, I'm done for now. I hope your weekend is a great one.

Dave

5 comments:

logankstewart said...

I struggle to have the output that I do for my blog. That's why there's so much pointless babble and randomness at times, methinks. Anyway...

I'm glad things are still sailing smoothly for you and your wife. I find myself saying or doing things that I wish I didn't, but I dunno how to change that. And if I change it, then it's not me being me?

Good luck with seeing your friend again.

That Monopoly looks crazy. Crazy, I say!

Crystal said...

That Monopoly game looks cool! I love board games.

Enjoy catching up with your friend!

Paula Titus said...

Very cool, that you looked up an old friend - I think about doing that once in awhile, thinking is as far as it gets.

Maybe you should find out what your wife's "love language" is. :)

Joseph said...

Finally! Another post. I need my daily Dave fix.

Abbie said...

i know, honestly dave! can't leave us hanging! :)
I love the new monopoly board and the starting picture you posted. So cool! ooh, can't wait to read more of your book! Glad you are enjoying that group thing! and glad things are going well for you, at the family and friends front. Tell your friend that he has an awesome name :)