Thursday, December 17, 2009

And in This Corner, Wearing the Soiled Shorts and Smelling Vaguely of Eggnog... Dave!




Thursday. Semi-productive Thursday. My To-Do List only partially converted into a To-Done List, so I shrug my shoulders, purse my lips a bit, sigh and move forward. Tis the season, eh?

Floating, floating, apathy sinking in, trying to get into a Christmassy mood, and falling short. I'll keep trying, though. My normal escapes aren't working at the moment. Books, games, movies, blogging, web surfing, writing... everything is stripped of color and left wanting. Meh, this too shall pass.

Abbie wanted me to send her a sample from my current novel, so I was prepping a file for her tonight, pulling some material. You know what? I really like it. I like the story, I like how it's written, I like the characters, I just like it. Take that however you want - I suppose that makes me a literary narcissist. I'll be curious to see what she thinks. I'm so tempted to dive in for re-writes right now... but I really want to get the first draft done first, before I launch into the re-writes.

I consider myself a conservative... yet the conservative public figures, including politicians and pundits, talk show hosts and spotlight hogs, all seem to me to be rather insane. I don't want to be one of them, or associated with them. Yet I'm certainly not a liberal. Why are people so insane? Part of me thinks that the lunatics are running the asylum, at least as far as the government... actually, all the way down to the local government... there just doesn't seem to be any difference between the two sides anymore. I think they're all nuts. Why anyone would want to go into politics is beyond me. It either only draws the crazies, or it draws good people and then crazifies them. Either way, it's adding to my sense of morose.

On a related note, I very much call myself Christian, but there's an incredible number of crazy Christians out there as well... or rather, crazy people that call themselves Christians... on the one hand, I suppose I fit in, then... I mean, I'm a Christian, yet I blasted that author in a rather unChristian-like manner. Not exactly a good example of godly behavior. I guess the question is, would I have realized how I'd acted if it had never been noticed by the author? Or would I have plodded along to eventually do it again, next time I read a book that made me roll my eyes too many times? I think I know the answer to that... I certainly didn't feel bad running down Bakker a few months back.

So change is good, I guess. A step further away from being a putz and a step closer toward being more like the King, eh? That seems to me to be the point of it all. Transformation. Saved from being a putz, and saved to being someone... what word? Normal? Righteous? A good egg? Someone people like to be around? Someone to embrace rather than ignore? Someone you can look at and say 'I wanna be more like that guy.'

Rambling, rambling, tip-of-the-brain blogging, without a net...



I dig that tiger.

I watched Public Enemy last night - the 1931 Jimmy Cagney movie, I mean. It was so funny watching him playing a teen-ager, when he was quite obviously past 40. Reminds me of Michael J Fox playing a high schooler in Back to the Future... anyway, the movie is fun, and has a wonderfully heavy-handed moral. Crime doesn't pay. Always nice to watch one of the ol' black-n-white classics.

Back-to-back play rehearsals scheduled for Friday night and Saturday morning. I think we can do it, no prob. Then we perform the play Sunday. If the video turns out ok, I'll post it up here, so you can all watch about 60 seconds of it before browsing away to something else... I guess I'm a holiday pessimist, eh? I guess that would make me a chrissimist...

Dang, I hope someone has a New Year's party this year...

OK, I'm done being a scrooge for now. Perhaps tomorrow shall be a better day... though technically, I don't really have anything to complain about. I'm just feeling blah, you know? Maybe killing some zombies will help. If not, I'll watch the Farting Santa clip again a few times...

Talk to you tomorrow.

OMG, you have to watch this...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to the play, Dave :)

Joseph said...

That comment above was me but it wouldn't let me put my name in.

logankstewart said...

I've had a few of those days, Dave. Usually when I do I just write a poem and put it up.

I changed my voter registration to independent this year. Now I hold both sides of the coin in my hand. Mwa ha ha ha ha! Let them cater to me!

That video was weird. I liked it when he was standing by that guy in the books and watching him.

All in all, I hope you have a better day today.

Unknown said...

I like your book too Dave. I never realized how much I like the idea of a fantasy "questing" life style. I'd take questing over my 8-5 anytime. I don't think humans were made to sit in an office all day. This world is too dull though, maybe we can be pioneers in the next. 300% saber mount... what?

I know what you mean about the crazies on both sides of the spectrum. I think that's God's doing, without renewing our hearts in Him we're all insane. It's almost pathetic watching our legislators try and make that health bill. It's like everything they do in public is smoke and mirrors but then they do whatever they want in private. Only a few people have even seen what they're trying to pass so fervently. Who's that bill for again? They accomplish so little and even that is hardly anything to be proud of. Does worthless even describe them accurately? If one of our founding fathers was here I can't help but think he'd wack every one of them over the noggin with his musket, before chastising the rest of us.

I think what sets you apart is what you did once your mistake was revealed to you. It's something to be thankful for really, God loves you enough to correct you in a way that you're sure not to forget. Other people probably won't see that you grew from it immediately but that's where we learn to be humble and trust in Him to undo the damage we've done.

Did you get your computer all fixed up?

You're coming to our church Joe or you are waiting for the recording? The recording is probably not going to be worth watching, if you want to see it you'll want to be there in person. A few of Rebekah's lines remind me of that one play where you were the writer, not what she says but how she says them. She's a natural, sister like brother...

Paula Titus said...

I've seen that Jack guy's videos before - and they are hilarious!

Nice insights about yourself, thanks for sharing.

Abbie said...

yeah Joe, you'll be so proud of Rebekah! she is superb!! Totally rocks it :)
I dig the tiger too dave :)

Nachocheese said...

You better go Joe! We'll have our little pictures taken, like old times :)

David Wagner said...

Jope! Wait till you see your sis. She's rockin' it.

Logan, don't tempt me... I'll write a poem and post it! I will! Then you'll be sorry!

Killer comment(s) Vye, thanks.

Paula, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. That guy's great.

Abbie, tell me how you like the novel sample I sent... I hope your reaction is positive...

Jayson, there you go, bragging about your new camera again! :D