Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Hey, Nobody Gets to Mistreat My Dog Like That Except Me!



Yay! I'm going to write my fingers off tonight... I've been working on the world map, as I mentioned yesterday, and I have the rough outline for all my storylines laid out through to the end of the book, with a little wiggle room to squeeze in additional tangents as I see fit. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone, but the bottom line is, I know what I'm doing, which is a good (great) thing.

I was thinking, actually, of getting some butcher paper, tacking it up on my wall above my monitors, and drawing the map really big and detailed... heck, I used to be an artist! I might as well immerse myself in the world. It can only help, I suppose. We'll see how it all plays out. I worked on the chapter for King Carey last night (in a scene with one of the Councilmen), which evolved into something awesome that I hadn't anticipated. I love it when that happens.

Anyway, the already-high excitement level has kicked up a notch or two... feels great to have a more detailed plan. Of course, it also helps to have my lucky pair of underpants to wear on my head when I write...



No, that's not me. I'd never wedge a thread spool through my ear like that... I just thought it was funny that there actually is a head-gear product out there that looks like a pair of underpants. Ridiculously amusing, methinks.

Hey, check out these melons...





You can see more nicely carved melons HERE, including a semi-creepy one that looks like a lifelike open mouth... kinda cool, kinda creepy... like Tom Cruise...

Played a goodly amount of Left 4 Dead last night, played multiplayer online for the first time. It was actually very fun playing with other real, live people. In the game, you and three other people move across levels, from "safe house" to "safe house", working together as a team to make it through the waves of zombies that assault you from all sides. I don't know how that sounds to you, but it is really fun. Something about the camaraderie, helping each other out, contributing toward a common goal, etc., etc. Plus, there's something deeply cathartic about blowing away zombies with a shotgun or assault rifle. One of the coolest aspects of the game is getting a hold of a pipebomb. It's on a time delay, and when you lob it towards a knot of zombies, there's a flashing red light on it that draws the attention of all the zombies in the areas, and they swarm over toward it, like a big football huddle, and then BOOM, they all explode as the pipebomb goes off.

Never ceases to amuse me.



That's four dudes dressed up as life-sized Army Men figures for Halloween. Sorry, I have a backlog of Halloween costume pics that will languish in the dustbin of my October folder on my hard-drive if I don't post them. So, much like eating Halloween candy well into November, you'll also have to "eat" left-over Halloween pics too. Somehow, you will survive...

And now, dragging a cat on the carpet...

                                                                                           
If it played a commercial beforehand, I apologize. I wish they could be disabled.

I'm gonna go scoot and write, write, write! Squish me luck! Until tomorrow, remember, I love the smell of cinnamon apple in the morning. It smells like victory.

5 comments:

havah said...

Stunning start-up photo. Wow!

*L* Head-pants! The perfect stocking stuffer.

Those melons are amazing! Things like that are waaaaayyyyy beyond my capablities.

*LOL* That cat must have built up some serious kitty-static! Walking after that must have been quite shocking. *L*

Enjoy the writing. I think it's very cool that you've got the whole thing mapped out like that. You're doing great!

logankstewart said...

Awesome melons. Even cooler green army men. That's a brilliant costume idea.

A huge map would be a great idea.

By the way, did you ever get anyone to bounce your NaNoWriMo ideas off of? If not, or if you'd like, you got my email address if you wanna shoot something off me. I may likewise request opinions. Part of me thinks that my story is too complex or too boring, but I envision much more excitement later on. Best of luck.

Abbie said...

glad to hear about the map dave! sounds pretty nifty!! and i'm glad something evolved from the council meeting scene that you weren't expecting!! thats awesome!

haha, the cat video is weird, but cute :)

Krista said...

I love a good Map :)

Those melons are so awesome!

David Wagner said...

Havah: Yeah, that top pic is awesome. Makes me want to put on a sweater...

Logan: I'll post the map once it gets in good shape. As far as an idea bounce pad, I was kind of hoping for someone local, who knew the people in the book and would know if something made sense for their character, etc., I thought that might be useful, but who knows... and it may be counterproductive for both of us - each writing a complex fantasy story - to get intermingled with each other's stories, at least at this point. Maybe after the 50K point is passed and re-writes can start, then it would be awesome.