Thursday, October 29, 2009

I Don't Have a Work Ethic. I Just Have Work...



Hey, what are you doing here? You're not allowed in here without the Official Blog Badge and Hat! And you didn't do the Secret Blog Dance of Greeting and Subservience! Plus, there's the $5 cover charge...

Oh, that's right, I won't implement those rules until December. Never mind...

Thursday Highlights Include: Breakfast with dad; a pumpkin spice frap (you never call me "punkin'" anymore!); a quick mall browse; interview formatting; Torchlight and Left 4 Dead; pizza dinner and some World Series.

That's it! Such is my jet-set, A-list, no-holdin'-back lifestyle! Are you green with envy? Or are you just wearing your HULK costume? Oy vey, that would be ironic!

Yes, I pulled the trigger on Torchlight today - I've read nothing but good stuff online about it, including a rather glowing endorsement from the dude from Penny Arcade himself! He's a great writer, and he plays games... so he must be right. I took it for a spin, singing a gross aberration of the Niel Diamond ET song in my head ("turn on your torchlight... let it shine wherever you go..."). Basically, the game is a highly polished version of FATE, if that makes sense to you. In fact, if that makes sense to you, congratulations... you are as big a gaming nerd as I am... Come on, just give me your hand. I'll pull you back over...



Don't ask... ok, fine, you can ask... but I'm not tellin'...

If you like music and/or the Beatles, you have to check out this link, and listen to the three "multi-track analysis" narrations for the Beatles songs "She's Leaving Home," "A Day in the Life" and "Come Together". Very, very cool.

Trying to scramble and get things done before the weekend - Sunday is the first! Novel time! Honestly, I'm already anticipating potential storyline conflicts about halfway through, but they're hard to resolve ahead of time, since I just KNOW that a lot of the story will be morphing on the fly. If past performance is any indication, when it comes to writing fiction, for me, a lot of it unfolds and takes direction as I'm actually writing it. This process of trying to outline the story ahead of time is new, and I hope beneficial. I do have a good amount of it set, but really, the last day or two have been spent nailing down a map of the storyland, and setting in stone who starts where and heads where, and why. But there's discovery in the writing, and I'm looking forward to the process... I'm trying not to lock myself into anything for any of the characters.

Still, there's comfort in having a clue ahead of time. I've made at least one fairly major modification that I wouldn't have made if I'd just started writing and winging it when I first had the idea.

Boring, Dave! Get to other stuff already!

Here's a cool "electric chair" haunted house prop...



Kinda freaky. If that's an attempt to earn clemency, I spit on it!

And here's Darth Vader conducting an orchestra that is playing the Imperial March music from Star Wars...

                                                                                           
There, that should keep you happy for a few minutes, anyway...

Rug Shop Day tomorrow. More web work, I presume. Then to church for the Christmas Drama Meeting I mentioned a day or two ago... still no clue, vis. a script. I hope someone else has some ideas... then we've got the costume/birthday party on Saturday. Sunday I start writing. Full steam ahead!

By the way, I may give the Movie Quote Contest the month off for November... just a heads-up. No clue who will end up winning October - it's so exciting, I'm about to wet myself! You've come to the wrong shop for anarchy, brother...

Until tomorrow, remember, this dock is off-limits to civilians.

12 comments:

Sodi said...

this dock is off-limits to civilians = POTC

Abbie said...

hah, you posted early!! nice :)

David Wagner said...

Gonna try to get in bed by eleven pm tonight... wish me luck!

5 points for Shannon!

Bob said...

Speedround (hopefully, with no blunders this time):

"strange creatures we are, even to ourselves" = The Wind that Shakes the Barley

"I've never seen a man drink two pints at the same time" = Waking Ned

Bob said...

Title is from The Perfect Storm

Bob said...

"You've come to the wrong shop for anarchy, brother" = Master & Commander

Bob said...

"Come on, just give me your hand. I'll pull you back over" = Titanic

David Wagner said...

10 speed round points, and 15 daily quote points for Bob! Boom! Like that... BOOOM!

Bob said...

better double-check the speedround quotes, Dave :P

Paula Titus said...

The giant thing is pretty cool!

Wishing you creative madness on your novel and good luck in rearranging your bedtime. I've finally got myself on track (in bed by 11:00) - only because I refuse to allow myself the ever-coveted nap. :(

Krista said...

"Oy vey, that would be ironic!" Poseidon

"If that's an attempt to earn clemency, I spit on it!" In the Wake of the Bounty

"Full steam ahead!"--Murder Ahoy... I really don't now if this one is right Curious George came up too and many others... *Shrug*

And is the theme Sea movies?

One more day! Oh, who's it gonna be!

David Wagner said...

15 daily quote points for Krista, plus 10 for the theme... it's a one point game again!

Thanks for the encouragement, Paula!