Friday, September 25, 2009

Yesterday I Saw You Walking Back to Me.


Ladies and Gentlemen, in tonight's blog post, the part of Dave will be played by Mel Gibson wearing a unitard and channeling Larry the Cable Guy.

[Dim lights, raise curtain, enter Mel]

*ahem*

Thank you all. Thank you... I will begin tonight's blog by performing a selection of monologues from Shakespear's Othello, set to music from the Broadway musical Cats, all while chewing tobacco. I will be needing a volunteer from the audience, preferably a female over the age of 70 who is familiar with operating a backhoe with under-inflated tires. Anyone?

Oh, and if someone backstage can bring me my stilts? Yes, the gold plated ones, of course.... this is Othello... the stainless steel stilts would be an affront to the Bard's memory... so please 'gitter dun.'

A volunteer from the audience...? Hello? Anyone?

Fine, forget it... I can't work under these conditions. Uncultured swines.

[Exit Mel]

----------------------------------------

Well, I guess I got my blog back... so much for taking the night off! That's ok, I guess I'm good to go. Have some stuff to share with you all tonight...

First, I have to mention perhaps the coolest blog-related idea I've heard in a looong time, from the blog A Few Minutes With Michael, via Peter's blog KyusiReader. I was reading Peter's blog post yesterday, and behold! A review of the classic Jules Verne book Around the World in 80 Days. Cool enough on its own, until Peter segued into the reason that he's reading it. Apparently Michael thought it would be cool to send his copy of Around the World in 80 Days literally around the world in 80 days... sending it to a fellow blogger, who would read the book, review it and then send it on to another blogger in another country, who would then do the same, sending it on again... Michael will be tracking the progress of the book as it circumnavigates the globe, and collecting the thoughts of those who are reading it along the way.

Is that not the coolest idea you've heard all year? When I read that, I said, "Man, I wish I had thought of that!" Anyway, I'll keep track of the progress and pass on interesting tidbits here, in a vain effort to glom onto the project a little bit... I wonder if I could get in on the project and add a San Diego stop to the itinerary...

Anyway, awesome idea.

Funny Picture Time:

That is one cool treehouse. OK, it isn't technically a "funny picture", I know... I guess my funny picture stash is getting pretty low. Gonna have to gird my loins and go huntin' for more. The problem with trolling for funny pictures is that you usually have to sift through a lot of crap to find the funny ones here and there... but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for you, my loyal rabid fanbase! That's how much I love you! Though one could argue that, if I really loved you, I'd make you get rabies shots to handle that rabidity... wake up, pretty girl, the joke is on you!

Rotten Tomatoes has posted their annually-updated series on The 100 Worst Rated Movies of the Past Decade. I won't spoil the results for you, in case you want to check it out yourself. But let's just say their top 10 might spark a little debate. I know Joseph admitted to liking their #1 slot film before... but he was young and foolish and in love back then, so perhaps his opinion has evolved... they've also got a list of the Top 10 Bruce Willis Movies, which is also an interesting read...

In other odd movie news (is there any other kind?), it's still three months until they release the "new and improved" Sherlock Holmes film (starring Robert Downey Jr.), and the sequel is already in the works. I suppose that means the first one is good, eh? Of course, three months out means they're not even done editing it yet, but hey, they must like what they see... anyway, there's already rumors that Brad Pitt will play Moriarty in the sequel... man, that's like putting Christmas decorations up at the mall in, say, Summer 09 in preparation for Xmas 2010... anyway, I am thoroughly unimpressed with the trailer, and I doubt I'll be watching the film, in theater or on disc...

Desperate times, desperate measures...

I want to go to New York City, just so I can go to Katz's New York Deli, and get one of their pastrami sandwiches.



Start at 1:30 and get ready to drool... I seriously would plan a trip out to NYC just to get one of those sandwiches.

Here's a link to a blog called Packaging of the World, that collects and exhibits really cool and/or innovative product packaging from across the globe... here's a pic they posted yesterday of the newly redesigned Guinness beer can, in honor of the 250th anniversary of the opening of the Guinness Brewery...


Now that's a beautiful can. I don't drink, but I can appreciate a nice design when I see one... anyway, if you want to browse a cool blog, you can't go wrong with that one...

Meh, I had other stuff to cover, but it's taking me too long to write this, and now I'm spent... hope you don't mind. Hey, it could be worse... I was *this* close to unloading a butt-load of my theological wrestlings upon unsuspecting you... that would have been cruel, very cruel... I've been wrestling with a lot of stuff since Wednesday night, and it has had time to simmer... not sure I'll do it or not... you have called me a liar and a thief and a war profiteer!

On a quick side note, if my ersatz review of the first Mistborn book the other night didn't convince you to read it yourself, perhaps Shellie's review of it that she posted today will convince you...

I need some peace and quiet... or whatever it is people go away for. Until tomorrow, remember, if you ooze masculinity, like some of us do, you have no reason to fear pink.

9 comments:

havah said...

Quotes:

Title: Cold Mountain

"you have called me a liar and a thief and a war profiteer" -- The Aviator

"wake up, pretty girl, the joke is on you!" -- I Heart Huckabees

Theme: Jude Law. Nice :)

havah said...

Poor Mel.

That is a very cool idea. I wonder if he'll ever get the book back?

Wow! Shiny tree house. I wonder if you could start a fire with that thing?

Interesting list. I've seen only 7 on the list, and one I had no choice in...which is why you don't let other people pay when you go to the movies. Worst movie I've ever seen. Blech.

*sigh* Since when is Holmes action-adventure? I'm not even sure what the mystery is, based on that trailer. :( But...at least Jude Law sounds like the part. :)

Oh, man...those are some good-looking sandwiches! I hate sandwiches that are more bread than meat.
As for the curry he keeps mentioning: What's the deal with making those super-hot curries? They're supposed to be spicy and rich, not entrail incinerating. Maybe it's just me...

I'll check out the packaging site another time. It's time to watch some Castle.

David Wagner said...

25 more points for Havah the great!

Abbie said...

Castle is a cool show Havah! I've seen only some of it, but I like it :)

That is a very cool idea about sending the book around the world! And I would love that tree house, lol :)
Dave, the ending quote you picked is awesome!!
if you ooze masculinity, like some of us do, you have no reason to fear pink - Alfie
I need some peace and quiet... or whatever it is people go away for - The Holiday

David Wagner said...

10 points for Abbie! good work.

Joseph said...

lol. I did at one time own that movie, it was one of the first DVDs I bought. That being the case I can attest that it is deserving of it's top spot.

LOVE the packaging blog! I can't tell you how many times I've been at a store and told my wife, "Wow that's such cool packaging, I want to buy that." No matter what it is! She just rolls her eyes :) Thanks!

Krista said...

Wasn't that just an awesome idea! Very cool!

Paula Titus said...

Great book idea!

How's your pastor doing, btw?

Unknown said...

David -
Thanks again for the shout out.
That is a really cool blog that you linked here.