Tuesday, August 11, 2009

It Will Come to You, this Love of the Land. There's No Gettin' Away from it if You're Irish.


"Marsupials" or "more soup eels," which one?

Sorry, that's the best I could do...

Welcome once again to Dave's Buffet of Petty Trifles! A table full of mindless fluff - as filling as mental cotton candy, and about as good for you, too! Have I got a heap of random, unrelated bits and pieces on tap tonight! MUAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Hope you have your mental floss handy; some of this might end up stuck in your teeth!

Here's a new one, for me... right before I woke up this morning, I dreamed I was writing a song. I was singing the song in my dream, pretty impressed with myself, since I thought it was pretty good. Anyway, I woke up singing the song... and it stayed with me as I got up to prepare for work! I told myself I should write it down and/or record it while I had it in my mind... but I decided to check my email instead... of course, I then forgot it. Oh well. The lyrics had something to do with "living in the moment" or some such.

I don't know if I mentioned it here a couple weeks ago, when I woke from another dream with the last image in my head being rolling credits, like at the end of a movie, lol. I kid you not; my dream had credits at the end of it. I woke up laughing. It was a good way to wake up.

I turned that Neil Blender artwork I showed you the other day into a wallpaper for my computer. I'm going to do wallpapers for a couple of my other favorite skateboard graphics as well. Hey, why not, right? I mean, it's just copyrighted artwork, right? I mean, I'm just stealing intellectual property that belongs to someone else so I can selfishly use it for my own amusement, right? No big deal, right? Right? I figure as long as I'm not selling it, I don't give three craps. Hey, anyone else want it? I'll email it to you...

I bought a really nice Scrabble set today at Target, to play this Saturday, and also to give away as the prize to the winner of the tourney. Anyone out there reading this that enjoys Scrabble and is in the vicinity is certainly invited. Keep in mind, I'm giving very little thought to what non-Scrabblers will be doing while the rest of us play. Someone threatened to bring a PS3, which might be fun, but no promises there... if you're just coming to hang out, bring some backup entertainment. Good thing we all have feet; when in doubt, play with your own feet. Words to live by...

Funny T-Shirt of the Day:


Josh posted a cool link to an article today about a brawl that occurred between the San Diego Padres and the Atlanta Braves back in 1984, when the Padres were in the middle of their pennant run. It's a wild read, if you're up for a little baseball bench-clearing bad blood. Here's the link. There's also a collection of video clips from the game, if you'd like to watch the events unfold. Here's that link. Meh, I know people dig different stuff, I get it. I just happen to find this kind of stuff fascinating. I played 9 years of ball growing up myself, so I can dig it.

I was hoping to find video footage of a REAL Atlanta brawl - namely, the burning of Atlanta scene from Gone with the Wind, but I can't track it down. I'd rip it myself, but I'm too lazy lately, sorry. I know you're all worth the effort, but my sedentary lifestyle has finally caught up to me, and I have solidified in my chair, with my right hand frozen to my mouse, and my left hand just mobile enough to type...

I will, however, post this short computer animation called "Gone With the Wind In 60 Seconds"...



There... that should tide you over...

Todayve in History: August 12
------------------------------------
- August 12, 30BC: Cleopatra dies, supposedly by snake bite. (Asps... very dangerous... you go first!)

- August 12, 1833: The city of Chicago is founded. (It was founded by New Yorkers who thought, "You know, we like the filth and the crime of New York, but it just isn't cold enough!")

- August 12, 1851: Isaac Singer is granted the patent for the sewing machine. (I still prefer my bib overalls to be sewn by hand...)

- August 12, 1981: The first IBM personal computer is released. (Like a virus released from a lab to infect the world...)

Among those celebrating birthdays on August 12 are: Cecil B. Demille (1881), Norris & Ross McWhirter (1925), and Pete "the Chimp" Sampras (1971).


Today's Gutbuster from This Is Why You're Fat:

Behold! The Breakfast Pizza: A sausage pizza with bacon and scrambled eggs added, topped with mozzarella cheese and with country gravy as the pizza sauce. Enjoy! If you actually ever try this one, will you promise to name your first six belches after me? Thanks...

I thought I had tons of stuff to share today, but the rest has fled me. I've been thinking about carrying around a little pocket-sized spiral notebook like Pastor Thompson does, so I can jot down blog ideas as I have them. Let's see if I can remember to actually get one...

Going to bail now. Don't worry, I'll be back again tomorrow! Have to finish a rush job for Piranha, then read and get some sleep. Until tomorrow, remember, if a bullet gets me, so help me, I'll laugh at myself for being an idiot.

7 comments:

Bobinho said...

does that T-shirt have something to do with chuck norris? :D

logankstewart said...

My high school actually sold breakfast pizzas during breakfast, and they were amazing. Amazing, I say, amazing.

Anonymous said...

Dave-
not sure how you do your movie line thing...but I believe that top line above the beautiful picture comes from Far and Away...
Courtney M.

David Wagner said...

Bob: That was my first thought...

Logan: Guess I'll have to try and track down a more obscure gutbuster next... Breakfast Pizza isn't esoteric enough...

Courtney: You had to start doing the movie quote contest right after I pulled the plug on it for August, didn't you! lol Anyway, the way it worked was the first person to identify a quote got five points for it, then it was out of play. Usually, I'd try to hide between 6 and 10 quotes throughout each post, but I've kind of lost steam on it, so I ended the August contest early and declared Bob the winner...

Anyway, I may start it up again in September. But for now, all I'm doing is using movie quotes in the title and the sign-off line at the end. But the easiest way to check a quote is to copy/paste the line into Google.

By the way, your guess on the title was sadly incorrect... I'm sure if you Google it, you can find out straight away. I thought about giving more points for quotes that people knew without having to look them up, but that would require the honor system... and you know how shifty this crowd is! :P

Krista said...

Love the shirt, too funny!

I wouldn't mind new wallpaper for my computer....

Paula Titus said...

I laughed out loud at the "dream credit" bit - can someone say, "too many movies?" ;)

I decided to start carrying around a notebook to jot down writing ideas, as you mentioned. Now if I could just remember to actually jot them, instead of using the paper for grocery lists or discarded chewing gum, I'd be in better shape.

havah said...

The title is from Gone with the Wind. Just saying.