Saturday, May 30, 2009

And I've Got Some Extra Loud Blanks, Just In Case...

"Supercell" or "Soup or salad", which one?

Greetings and all that superficial stuff. It's Dave the Turd, checking in for today's dose of hot air. Crack a window, eh!

Today's pic was inspired by Paula's storm/tornado post over in her neck of the blogosphere. I've always been fascinated by weather-related stuff, tornadoes specifically. I have a couple old VHS tapes of tornado footage I bought years ago... I should rip some of the best ones and post them here for our amusement. Well, for mine, at least... as fascinated as I am by tornadoes, I sure hope I never see one in "real life". Same with nuclear bomb explosions - another fascination of mine.

Here's another cool supercell pic from my stash...


You gotta admit, that's pretty flippin' cool...

Today was pretty mellow. Stayed up very late Friday night, watching a sad and infuriating documentary on Netflix Watch Instantly called Dear Zachary. The director's name is Kurt Keunne, and his best friend Andrew Bagby was murdered by a psychotic girlfriend. Kurt decided to honor his friend Andrew by traveling the globe, interviewing everyone else that knew him, and making a documentary about his life. It ends up being a lot more than that... read here if you'd like more info. I wrote a review for it for Netflix, but it hasn't posted yet. When it does, I'll edit the link in here.

EDIT: Here is a link to my Netflix review page... don't know if it will load for you if you're not a member...

This morning was nice. Woke up to the smell of wifey cooking pancakes. Check out this beautiful stack of fluffy love...


You gotta love it...

The rest of the day was devoted to helping wifey prep for her marathon tomorrow. As much as I hate crowds, I'm steeling myself to wade into a gigantic one tomorrow for half the day. There's no question I need to be there to support her, and I want to, really. Still, crowds give me bowel angst, mini-migranes, athletes foot, St. Vitus' Dance, spontaneous ennui, and shivered timbers. Still, it must be done. Last year, there was a booth that sold funnel cake. You have to admit, a person can endure just about anything if there is also funnel cake involved.

Unintentional tie-in with the tornado theme there...

Last year's crowds were incredible... wall-to-wall people. Even when we wiggled our way to streetside at the halfway mark to try and see wifey run by, the runners themselves were a solid wall of people. It was insane. I expect the same tomorrow.

Well, if I get too nervous tomorrow, I'll just think of the Japanese Beatboxing Kid...


Because you can also endure just about anything as long as there is a Japanese beatbox kid involved. (No tornado tie-in there...)

Todayve In History: May 31
-----------------------------------
- May 31, 1678: Lady Godiva's procession through the streets of Coventry takes place. (What's the big deal? I ride naked on a horse through my neighborhood all the time!)

- May 31, 1927: The last Ford Model T rolls off the assembly line. (They had to start building the winner of that season's America's Next Top Model...)

- May 31, 1942: A Luftwaffe air raid in Dublin Ireland claims 38 lives. (As much as I have read about WW2, I never realized Germany ever attacked Ireland...)

In honor of Clint Eastwood's birthday (1930), I'm going to post the final scene from the 1992 Best Picture winner, Unforgiven. If you plan on seeing this at some point, keep in mind this will spoil the ending for you. It's a great scene from a great western, but it is violent, and has a smidgen of profanity in it.



Eastwood's done some great films, and some not so great. Letter's From Iwo Jima was infuriating, I thought. He should have been ashamed of himself for that limp biscuit.

I started reading a new book today - the Terry Brooks one is just not grabbing me. The book I picked up is called Point Of Impact, by Stephen Hunter. It's the book that the movie Shooter (with Mark Wahlberg) was based on. It's a great read so far. I may power through it, then try and reengage the Brooks trilogy again. Of course, very soon, Abercrombie's new book will be available, and I'll be pouncing on that like a Dave on a bag of beef Jerky...

Well, I'm going to shuffle off this mortal blog for now. I'll let you know how wifey's marathon goes on Sunday, since I know you're all just dyin' to hear about it...

Until tomorrow, remember, he should have armed himself, if he's going to decorate his saloon with my friend...

2 comments:

Mateo el Porch said...

Dav-EED

Excellent blog post, sorry it took me so long to get over to this neck of the internet.

I think that tomorrow you should wear some overly short shorts and do the "Dave Dance." That is sure to get people to scatter. Also, you could start pounding some dairy and hope for some stinky ones.

It was nice to see some today in history again. Brought back memories of the old Sunday School class. I suggest that your next post be about keel hauls.

All I have left to say is... "Anybody that don't wanna get kilt, better head on out the back."

- Matt the knife

Paula Titus said...

Wow - those are some very cool tornado pics, beautiful yet frightening.

Sorry about your having to face those enormous crowds today, I'm not a big fan of them either. But I'm sure wifey will appreciate your effort. Just remember - what doesn't kill you will make you stronger!